Small Business Law
I love small business. I love working with entrepreneurs (and I have worked with a lot of them). I have been involved with small businesses since I was a junior at Hope College and was a part-time accountant for a small construction company in Grand Rapids. It has always been a joy helping small businesses grow and succeed. As an attorney, I can help you in the following areas (and probably some that I have left off the list);Business Entities
I can help you determine what entity is best for you – then create the entity – then help you follow the formalities to keep it in good standing – and finally help you do what needs to be done so it accomplishes its purpose. This can include:
- Limited Liability Companies: single member LLC, multiple member LLC and professional LLC’s.
- Corporations (for profit): both S corporations, C corporations and Professional corporations.
- Non-Profit Corporations: help you create them and obtain IRS tax exempt recognition.
- Partnerships: general partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships.
Click here to visit the Business Entities webpage.
I love working with entrepreneurs in the start-up phase. I can help you with the following:
- Registrations, Licenses & Permits: required for: (i) the employees you employ; (ii) the services you provide, (iii) the goods you sell; (iv) where you operate; and (v) etc.
- Employees: employment contracts, personnel manuals/handbooks and required documentation for new employees.
- Sales: sales terms & conditions, salesperson contracts, sales representative contracts, distribution agreements, franchise agreements.
- Production/Service: purchase order terms & conditions, independent contractor agreements, consulting agreements, equipment purchase/lease agreements, and review of vendor contracts.
- Facilities: facility leases.
- Insurance: help you determine your needs and refer you to reputable insurance brokers.
- Ownership: develop buy-sell agreements to keep ownership “in-house”.
Click here to visit the Business Start-Up webpage.
So, the business is growing – great! I can help you with:
- Raising Capital: through (i) sale of equity such as the sale of stock, LLC memberships or partnership interests; (ii) debt financing offered by banks and other financing institutions; and (iii) strategic investors/partners for a joint venture.
- Leasing: lease agreements to acquire fixed assets (equipment, building space, etc.).
- Acquisitions: purchase of business, purchase of assets, and merger.
- Operational: see Business Start-Up above.
Click here to visit the Business Expansion webpage.
So, it’s time to cash in on all your hard work. I can help with:
- Sale of Business: through a sale of stock or majority of your assets; options to purchase.
- Succession planning: do you prefer to keep the business “in the family” (either literally or meaning your company family) then there are several ways to do that.
Click here to visit the Business Sale/Transfer webpage.
Disputes arise occasionally – it’s just part of doing business in a “fallen and broken” world. I can help:
- Keeping the peace among co-owners: I have extensive experience “keeping the peace” among co-owners.
- Customers, vendors, etc.: I can help resolve disputes by: (i) putting pressure on the other party to seriously address the situation; (ii) helping to negotiate a settlement; and (iii) drafting settlement agreements.
- Think outside the Box: I like to think that I have an ability to “think outside the box” to find a win-win solution for all parties.
- Litigation Support. If you have to go to court, I can help you prepare for trial (and hook you up with a good litigator).
Click here to visit the Business Dispute Resolution webpage.
Serving as a trusted board member for your business. I wear three hats: (a) Attorney; (b) CFO; and (c) Business Executive. It’s not often you get three for the price of one!
Click here to visit the Board Member webpage.
Small Business Services (click on your area of interest to be taken to that webpage):